BY SALLY CINELLO
6 Italian pork sausages, cut into bite size pieces
1 small brown onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced up small
100ml Sydney Original Cider
1 can diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons Italian dried herbs
Salt & Pepper
200gm cauliflower, cut into small florets
500gm packet of pasta shapes
- Fry the sausages in a non-stick saucepan until browned (pork sausages normally release a lot of fat so I don’t use any oil to fry them but should the sausages you use not release any fat or start to stick then add some olive oil to the pan)
- Add the onions, stir & cook until golden.
- Add the garlic, stir & cook for a few minutes.
- Add the cider, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, salt & pepper (to your taste) simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes to reduce the sauce & develop the flavour -the longer the better.
- When the pasta sauce is nearly ready, bring a large pan of salty water to the boil & cook the pasta for 3 minutes less than the instructions state.
- When the pasta is ready, drain off a large cup of the water that the pasta was cooked in – keep to the side.
- Add the pasta & cauliflower florets into the sausage/ cider sauce mixture & give it a good stir. Then a little at a time add the pasta water you had saved, stirring/cooking for a few minutes until the cauliflower is cooked & the pasta is al dente or to your taste.
- Serve with parmesan cheese