BY SALLY CINELLO
CIDER APPLE & PEAR RICOTTA TARTS
230gm smooth ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons honey
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 Tablespoon butter
60gm sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200°c or 180°c Fan Forced
- Mix together 40ml of the Apple cider with the ricotta, cinnamon & 2 teaspoons of the honey together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cut the pear & apple into thin slices- about a ¼ inch.
- Cut the puff pastry sheet in half lengthwise (you should have two 10”x5” sheets).
- Score each half puff-pastry sheet with a ½” border, being careful not to cut all the way through!
- Divide and spread the ricotta mix between the two puff pastry sheets.
- On one half layer the slices of pear on top of the ricotta & then layer the apples on top of the ricotta on the other half.
- Dot with dabs of butter.
- Using the remaining cider, gently wet the borders of each tart with your fingers and generously coat the borders with a sprinkling of sugar.
- Bake the tarts for about 10 minutes, and then remove and sprinkle the sliced almonds over the tart
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden and puffed.
Drizzle the remaining 1 teaspoon of honey over the apples & pears
Finish the tarts with reserved lemon zest.
Combine the apple cider, lemon juice, honey, and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, then reduce heat and simmer for about five minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the bourbon, and serve immediately.