BY SALLY CINELLO
Sydney Brewery Pale Ale is the hero of this Beery Cheesy Pale Ale Lasagne
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
500gm beef mince
1 Tablespoon tomato purée
400gm tin chopped tomatoes
200ml beef stock
1 Tablespoon of Italian dried herbs
Salt & Pepper to your taste
Box of dry lasagne sheets
FOR THE BEERY CHEESY SAUCE:
50g plain flour
300ml semi-skimmed milk
250ml Sydney Brewery Pale Ale
1 teaspoon English mustard
50gm grated cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a low heat. Fry the onion and garlic for 5 mins, or until softened. Add the mince and fry on a medium heat until golden brown.
- Turn up the heat & stir in the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes and stock. Simmer for 15 mins, or until the liquid has reduced. Season with salt, pepper & herbs. Continue to simmer to develop flavour.
- Meanwhile, make the beery cheesy pale ale sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat and then whisk in the flour to make a roux & cook on low for a couple of minutes. Then slowly add the milk & beer, whisking all the time until you have a thick sauce. Season with salt, pepper & mustard, continue to whisk for a few more minutes. Then slowly add 300gm of the grated cheese whilst whisking, if the sauce is too thick add a little more milk or beer to thin it down a little.
Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan forced 180°C.
- Layer up the lasagne in a baking dish, starting with a few Tablespoons of the beef sauce, then a few Tablespoons of the beery cheesy sauce, then the lasagne sheet. Repeat this order until all the beef & cheese sauce has been used. Make the top layer finish with the beery cheesy sauce then sprinkle the remaining 50gm of cheddar cheese on top. Make sure that the lasagne sheets are fully covered in the sauces so they cook properly.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins, until the cheesy sauce is bubbling on top and it’s easy to put a sharp knife through the layers.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes to set a little to make it easier to serve