BY LAURA CLARKE 2021
1 x 1.6 kg whole free-range chicken
1 x can of Sydney Brewery Blue Swimmer Summer Ale
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
2 bunches of spring onions, trimmed
FOR THE RUB
2 heaped tablespoons of Smoked & Charred Alabama Style Rub mix
½ tablespoon of dry Oregano Leaves
½ tablespoon of Piri Piri Seasoning
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge
- Mix the rub ingredients and Olive Oil in a bowl
- Rub all over the chicken and massage all those lovely flavours into all the nooks and crannies
- Crack open the Sydney Brewery Blue Swimmer Summer Ale and drink around two-thirds of it (this recipe is a win, win!)
- Carefully lower the chicken cavity onto the Beer can so it looks like it’s sitting up
- Position the chicken so it’s upright on a roasting tray
- Cut off the bottom of 1 bunch of the Spring Onion and insert in the neck cavity of the chicken
- Place in the oven and cook for around 1 hour
- Take the chicken out and brush the chicken all over with the sweet chili sauce, then return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes.
- The chicken should be golden and cooked through (to check it’s done, insert a knife into the thickest part of the thigh – the juices should run clear.)
- Once ready, carefully remove and discard the can, then carve up the bird, scatter some chopped spring onions, then serve.