EQUAL 2ND PLACE – 2020 HOME COOKING COMP RECIPE – BY MINH CHU
500g pork belly
2 large cloves garlic
3 cm piece of ginger, sliced
3 spring onions, cut into 10cm pieces
1/2 cup nashi, pureed
2 tablespoons of Gochujang
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- Heat a pot that is large enough to lay the pork belly flat over medium-high heat until it is hot. Lay the pork belly, skin side down and brown for 2-3 minutes. If you are not using a non-stick pan, add a tablespoon of oil before searing skin side.
- Brown the remaining sides of the pork. Once the pork has been seared, add the garlic, ginger and spring onions to infuse into the oil/rendered fat from the pork.
- Add the cider, pureed nashi, gochujang and soy sauce and bring to the boil, making sure to dissolve the gochujang. Turn the pork belly a couple of times.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and put the lid on the pot. Braise the pork for 90 minutes. Turn the pork a couple of times to season the pork in the braising liquid evenly.
- When the pork is tender, remove it from the pot and keep it covered so it doesn’t dry out.
- Discard the spring onion, ginger and garlic from the braising liquid. Strain the braising liquid through a sieve into a shallow fry pan.
- Reduce the braising liquid over high heat until it is thick and shiny.
- Slice the pork belly to serve with the reduced braising liquid.